Arts and Music Atlas

Works, Makers, Traditions
Works

Taliesin

tal-ee-ESS-in (Welsh: shining brow)

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

On August 15, 1914, while Wright was away in Chicago, a recently hired servant named Julian Carlton set fire to Taliesin's living quarters and killed seven people with a hatchet as they tried to flee, including Mamah Borthwick, her two children John and Martha Cheney, and members of the household staff. Carlton attempted suicide by swallowing hydrochloric acid and died in custody 47 days later, weighing roughly 90 pounds, before he could be tried, and the full circumstances of the attack have remained disputed ever since.

Taliesin is the Wisconsin estate Frank Lloyd Wright began building in 1911 on land his mother's Welsh Lloyd Jones family had farmed for generations, taking its name from a sixth-century Welsh bardic poet and meaning shining brow, chosen because Wright insisted the house sit on the brow of its hill rather than on the crown, so that the hill and the house could still be seen as one. He built it first as a retreat with Mamah Borthwick Cheney, whose 1909 elopement with Wright had scandalized both their families; he rebuilt it twice more across his life, after the 1914 tragedy and again after a second fire in 1925, and from 1932 it also became the home of the Taliesin Fellowship, the apprenticeship program through which Wright trained fifty to sixty students at a time in architecture, farming and craft for the rest of his career.

Facts
Location
5607 County Road C, Spring Green, Wisconsin, United States 1
Architectural Style
Prairie School organic architecture, an L-shaped arrangement of structures built into the hillside itself rather than on top of it. 1
Structural System
Partially detached wings of masonry and timber-frame construction, connected by open pergolas and courtyards, following the contour of the hill. 1
Primary Material
Local yellow limestone, cedar shingle roofing, plaster tinted with sienna pigment. 1
Building Type
House and studio (Wright's own residence and architectural school) 1
Commissioned By
Frank Lloyd Wright himself, as his own home, studio and later architectural school on land his family's Lloyd Jones relatives had settled 1
Construction
from 1911 1
UNESCO Inscription Year
2019 2
One of eight Wright buildings inscribed together as The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Current Use
Museum and historic site operated by Taliesin Preservation Inc., seasonal guided tours 1
Visitor Access
Seasonal guided tours 1
Learn More
Taliesin, Rebuilt Three Times

Frank Lloyd Wright began building Taliesin in 1911 as a retreat from a scandal of his own making: in 1909 he had left his wife Catherine and their six children in Oak Park to travel to Europe with Mamah Borthwick Cheney, the wife of a former client, and by the time he came home neither Chicago society nor the press had forgiven him. Taliesin, built on land his mother's Welsh family had farmed for generations, was meant to be a place where he and Borthwick could simply live, away from the scrutiny.

That first version of Taliesin stood for three years. On August 15, 1914, while Wright was in Chicago overseeing work on Midway Gardens, a man named Julian Carlton, hired that summer as a servant, set fire to the house's living quarters and attacked the household with a hatchet as they tried to escape the flames. He killed Borthwick, her two children John and Martha Cheney, and four others on the estate. Carlton swallowed hydrochloric acid in an apparent suicide attempt afterward and survived only 47 days in custody, dying before he could be tried and explain, in his own words, why he had done it. Wright learned of the attack by telegram and returned to bury Borthwick himself, in a plain wooden coffin, in the graveyard of the small chapel his family had built decades earlier.

He rebuilt. The second Taliesin rose on the same foundations within a year, and Wright kept working, and kept living there, through the 1920s. In 1925 a second fire broke out, this one accidental, caused by a lightning-damaged telephone line arcing during an electrical storm; Wright lost the living quarters again, along with a substantial part of his art collection, though not any lives this time. He rebuilt a third time, and this final version of Taliesin, extended and revised for the rest of his life, is the building that stands today.

In 1932, deep in the Depression with commissions scarce, Wright and his wife Olgivanna opened Taliesin to paying apprentices, founding the Taliesin Fellowship: young architects worked the estate's farm, cooked, built, and studied under Wright directly, in a program that shaped much of the next generation of American architecture and that continued, at both Taliesin and its winter counterpart Taliesin West in Arizona, until his death in 1959. The estate that had been rebuilt from tragedy twice became, by the end of Wright's life, the place where he had trained more architects than any single school could claim credit for.

Cross-Tradition Connections

Created By

Source Wikipedia

In Form

Source Gardner's Art Through the AgesFred S. Kleiner (after Helen Gardner)

In Movement

Source Wikipedia
Sources
1. Wikipedia
Wikimedia FoundationTaliesin (studio)View the Source
1. Wikipedia
Wikimedia FoundationTaliesin (studio); corroborated by contemporary press accountsView the Source
2. UNESCO World Heritage Centre
UNESCOThe 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, inscribed 2019View the Source
Gardner's Art Through the Ages
Fred S. Kleiner (after Helen Gardner), Cengage LearningIn Form: Architecture, chapters on architectural history across periods
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.